Personal branding is the use of media forums to shape people’s opinions or impressions of you. It is different from corporate branding in that, corporate branding deals focuses on the business while personal branding focuses on the person. It is about portraying oneself as a leader or influencer in a particular area of field and shifting people’s opinions in their favour with the ultimate goal of deriving a commercial value from it.
Today the most common method used to build a personal brand is social media, using platforms such as LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Telegram, Wechat, snapchat etc.
According to the Kajabi, ‘Personal branding refers to the process of establishing your public persona for your target audience. It involves carefully and accurately communicating your values, beliefs, goals, and purpose’.
And according to Forbes Business, ‘Personal branding is the modern-day scorecard that measures a leader’s core message delivery, their professional presence in person and online, and their application of foundational values both in and out of the office. As technology continues to dominate common daily processes, personal branding is “the business of people,” inclusive of perceptions and proven career leverage’.
The Importance of Personal Branding:
- A personal brand sets out your UPS (unique selling point) or what makes you unique or stand out
- Connects you to your audience and builds trust for commercial value
- Sets you apart as an influencer or leader or an authority in your chosen field
- Brings clarity to your work and audiences
- Gives you exposure to all categories of people and brings more catalogues of services or products that maybe aligned with yours.
How To use Social Media for Personal Branding:
- Create social media profiles on platforms like LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snaptchat etc.
- Join groups that provide same persona as you and build trust
- Keep a consistent image across all the platforms
- Regularly engage with your audiences
- Diversify your content and ask for feedback
- Curate content from influencers
- Use hashtags properly, especially on twitter, remember LinkedIn is for professional postings alone.
- Join discussions and monitor your name.
- Regularly post images, videos that are engaging
Good Examples of Using Social Media for Personal Branding:
- Twitter: @Donald J Trump: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump
- LinkedIn: @Sir Ricard Brandson: https://www.linkedin.com/in/rbranson
- Instagram: @Dwane Johnson: https://www.instagram.com/therock
- Facebook: @Christiano Ronaldo: https://m.facebook.com/Cristiano/
- Snapchat: @DJ Khaled